Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The end of an era

How do you fit your entire life into two bags? Your whole twenty three years of existence, your memories, your thoughts, your belongings? How do you say goodbye to the place you called home your whole life? Such a tirade of questions, few answers though.

There are some goodbyes which happen because they must and no number of wars waged against them delay their occurrence. There are some which happen suddenly, like an untimely death or an impromptu official trip, and then there are some which are carefully planned, meticulously thought about, goodbyes that have been ruminated over for a while, stewed in their own intensity, and are thus gulped and swallowed into the pit of reality ever so slowly. That is my goodbye, a heady, heavy feeling of loss that has become a part of my being now. It was premeditated, the consequences known. When I decided that this is something I need to do, I went through the final few days several times in my head. I’ve already shed my tears, and my heart has felt heavy many times now. I feel relieved somewhat. Even if I do get overwhelmed on that fateful day, I will be prepared.

Change is universally unwelcome usually, not here though, not by me. It is daunting at first, difficult to traverse, it throws curve balls your way, and you’re caught off guard most times, but that is exactly what endears me to it. It is my tonic for survival; it is what I do to break free. It is what I need to dream. It is what makes me say goodbye today.

Farewell! a word that must be, and hath been -
A sound which makes us linger; - yet - farewell!
~Lord Byron

1 comment:

  1. now that ur gone, for a while atleast, i look forward all the more to that book that i hope u'l write someday.
    u really must.

    ReplyDelete