Tuesday, September 24, 2013

The Truth Will Set You Free



July 2003: My first day of college at Delhi University. The first day I sat in a private bus. The first day I faced blatant molestation. The first day I encountered real fear.
I sat in the private bus going towards Badarpur border; several passengers boarded the bus, which was scheduled to start in a few minutes. A man sitting in front of me turned around in his seat, and continued to stare at me. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and looked away. The man on the seat next to me stared at my ankles. I wore jeans that left my ankle exposed to such salacious scrutiny.
I looked back in the front, and the man continued to stare. He took out his tongue and licked his lips. I mustered all the courage I could in my 17-year-old self, and shouted “Bhaiyya, aage dekhiye.” Brother, look in the front. The man smirked, yet thankfully turned around. I bowed my head, praying to become invisible as the whole bus stared at me.

August 2008: I wake up from deep slumber on my window seat in a flight from Delhi to Guangzhou. I feel something near my back. As I move to figure out what it is, the man next to me jumps, and moves his hand. Turns out the foreign object I felt near my back, on the very small portion of skin that becomes exposed when you wear jeans and a tee-shirt and sit on a chair, yes that little sliver of skin, was the hand of this man who sat next to me. I was rendered speechless. I couldn’t believe that the man had touched me while I was sleeping. I didn’t confront him for I did not want to be in the same cylindrical airtight tube for five hours with a man who had felt comfortable enough to slip his hand on to my back, post an argument. I quietly retreated to the back of the empty plane, and wrote a furious article about how violated and angry I felt. The minute I got off the plane I called my friends back home and told them this sordid tale.

Why am I telling you this? For I have a feeling that you may not like what I am about to write next. And I need to establish my ability to empathize before I commence.

I am writing this because I think I owe it to everyone to put it out there. The recent CNN iReport by a University of Chicago student about her nightmarish stay in India became one of the most read iReports on CNN (it presently has 1,154,294 views). It highlighted once again how India continues to be the epitome of hell for women. Of course this struck a chord with many of us. Myself included. I am an Indian woman. I have been molested often number of times to know what it feels like to be violated.  I have had long passionate discussions with friends, and written scathing articles about the sexist, patriarchal, and repressed ways of the Indian society that promote this behavior of men, leaving women as a prey to their advances.
So no wonder when this undergraduate American girl wrote her story, the world was furious, India was furious, and yes, I was furious for the pain this girl had suffered. The fear that she had encountered could be felt by every Indian woman who might have ever ventured out on a dark street alone at night or driven home from work after dinner.  So appalled was I, that I wanted to read more about this woman who had suffered. I read whatever article I could find, saw whatever news item I could lay my hands on. Until I stumbled upon her YouTube channel.  She had many video logs about her stay in India, and of course intrigued as I was, I started to devour them one after another.
In one particular portion of her iReport on CNN she writes “Do I tell them about our first night in the city of Pune, when we danced in the Ganesha festival, and leave it at that? Or do I go on and tell them how the festival actually stopped when the American women started dancing, so that we looked around to see a circle of men filming our every move?”

So of course when I saw a video named  “First Day in Pune (or How to get kidnapped by a festival)” I thought it would shed more light about the horrifying nightmare she experienced. Now I wish I had written this earlier, because the said videos have been taken down, but in this specific video she talked about how she and her friends had danced in Pune on Ganesh Chathurthi and how everyone had stared at her and that had made her feel like a celebrity.
Nowhere in the video does she talk about feeling violated or uncomfortable at the stares or filming she alleged in her blog as unnerving. On the contrary she was excited, and smiling in the video. I am not sure that is how one expresses feelings of fear or anger. I know what it is like to be stared at, and as most women would agree with me, my reaction would be of anger or fear, not the ego boost that comes from feeling like a celebrity. These may sound like big words coming from someone who doesn’t have any evidence. Particularly since Michaela Cross’s YouTube channel doesn’t have these videos anymore (which makes me even more suspicious). But what possible reason could I have for bringing this out in the open but If not to tell the world what I did see, and what I did think after seeing the videos. I am not entirely sure or confident that I want to conjecture any duplicitous motivations on the part of RoseChasm, but yes I am very curious as to the discrepancy between the two accounts. One that was reported right after the alleged event (Ganesh Chathurthi) and one that came to us in the form of the CNN iReport almost a year later.
I did see other videos by her as well. Some of them have her talking about the sari she is wearing, and how she intends to use it as a tablecloth, the abysmal Internet service in India, and other jovial, rhetorical encounters of her stay in India. None of those videos present a picture of a woman living in fear, a woman who is being sexually assaulted or harassed on a daily basis
I am not ordained to justify that a persons experience is less or more painful than what it should be. For how can we ever compare pain experienced by two different people? Neither am I insinuating that India is a safe haven for women, and sexual harassment is not rampant. However, when there are some inconsistencies between what you see and infer and what is told to you, my integrity shouts at me to reconcile that information. So this is my attempt at reconciliation. All I want to know is, are we getting ahead of ourselves in this hoopla of declarations, chastising Indias abysmal safety record (which is valid) based on an account that to me at this moment, seems shaky at best?
Perhaps she did not want to share this trauma at the time, perhaps the videos don’t broach this issue for another reason altogether. Before we jump to any conclusions or make allegations, I want to know why those videos were removed.

This is a question you might not want to hear, but this is an answer I need.


Here is the link to the Youtube video which I had posted on my Facebook Timeline on August 25, which has now for reasons unbeknownst to me, been removed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPu2GmF4Y44

No comments:

Post a Comment